Spicy Tomato Sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
4 lbs. ripe Roma tomatoes, skinned and seeded (I didn't use Roma's but what I had on hand)
6 ounces tomato paste
2 tbsp. minced fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper (or use less and add red pepper flakes to your liking)
4 cups water
5 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley (flat leaf) (I used dried)
1. Heat olive oil in a deep pot. Add onions and cook, covered over low heat until tender and lightly
colored, about 25 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 mins. Stir occasionally.
3. Add water and cook very slowly, uncovered for 3 hours.
4. Stir in the garlic and parsley and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Taste and correct seasoning, if necessary.
Makes 3 quarts.
*From the Silver Palate Cookbook